Friday, July 15, 2011

My Love Affair with Lampwork Beads

I've done a few pieces in the past with some lampwork beads, but just recently I have discovered some beautiful, and a few very cute, beads made by artisans of the craft.  While I don't have any desire to try that craft (don't like the thought of working with fire!) I am fascinated by the technique and would love to see someone in person working their trade.  While the lampwork bead is not a gemstone, some are so intricate and lovely with their many workings of color and texture, that they deserve their own spot on the stage of beading materials.  The primary tools for these beads are colored glass rods, a mandrel, a torch, and a kiln.  Since the process for making these beads is so detailed and intricate, I am including a link here to a website that explains the process.  http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/beadmaking.html

Green with Orange and Pink Flower Lampwork Necklace

Orange and Pink Flowers on Green Lampwork Beads Necklace

Green and Yellow Lampwork Necklace
Green Lampwork Bead Earrings



















Here are a few of my latest pieces using lampwork beads, and since I've just received a new shipment, more will be in the making soon.  I even have some for Halloween,  Christmas, and some red, white, and blue for patriotic holidays.  These will all be in my Etsy shop, my ArtFire studio, and on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment