Friday, July 1, 2011

As We Celebrate Our Freedom

Another 4th of July is almost upon us, and since I have family coming in and will be bustling about making preparations, loving on the grandbaby, barbecuing, loving on the grandbaby, sitting on the deck visiting, - oh, and did I mention loving on the grandbaby? - I will hardly have time to even think about blogs.  So here are my thoughts on this celebration, which is one of my favorites.

The 4th of July is all about celebrating our freedom--all the many kinds of freedom--that we enjoy.  America is still truly the greatest nation in the world in spite of the many problems that we have endured and are continuing to endure.  I am proud of our country and I am proud to stand up and say "I am an American."  Sadly, though, we take our freedom and our country for granted.  And how easily that freedom could be taken away from us!  I never shall forget how, following the tragic and frightening events of 9-11, the whole country came together as I had never seen it do before.  Yet, today, ten years later, we seem to be back on our laid-back, lackadaisical path of apathy.  "When will we ever learn?  When will we ever learn?" says the song by Pete Seeger. 
God has blessed this country richly, and I am so thankful to Him for keeping His hand over us and protecting us, even from ourselves.

Yes, like most Americans, I will be joining my community in the local fireworks display, and I will feel overwhelmed by the beauty of the night sky as those rockets burst into beautiful showers of color.  And I hope that we all will hold dear to us the sacrifices that have been made to give us the freedom that we enjoy and that we will carry this pride for our country with us every day so that each day is a celebration of freedom!  Happy Fourth of July to everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment